Monday, November 28, 2011

What's It All About?




I love this time of year! Decorating for the season has always been a passion of mine. My children have expressed to me in several ways how they like the house "transformed" for Christmas. That makes my heart smile. I'm glad that they recognize my efforts and appreciate what I do to make this time of year extra special in our home. But what really makes my heart glad is the knowledge that they know the reason behind all the decorations! They know of Christ's sacrifice for each and every one of us. They know He was born the Son of God to die for our sins. That is what Christmas IS and for that, I am thankful. My children are all Believers!

That being said, I was very upset to see what a decorator did when doing a home on an HGTV holiday special. The family was a mix of Jewish and Christian faiths. I do not have a problem with that. It is the family's choice, however difficult it may be, and I respect the rights of others to believe as they choose. What upset me was the designer's choice to BLEND Hannukah and Christmas! She even named it "Chanamus" and put a huge "Merry Chanamus" sign out on the lawn. When I saw this I wondered how many other such families might sadly do the same thing. I wondered if the decorator had put much thought into what she might be causing to happen. She totally took the Christ out of Christmas and at the same time, dilluted the meaning of Hannukah for the Jewish members of the family. I wouldn't have stood for it! I will not be made to say "Season's Greetings" instead of "Merry Christmas" and I certainly won't allow my traditions be melded with those of other religions. We as Christians cannot allow our holiday beliefs and traditions to become one morphed, dilluted, politically correct falsity.

I am not one to be easily offended and speak about it, but this really got to me! At this time of year my store and my home are full of Christmas decorations because that is what I believe in. It is what my parents and grandparents taught me as a child and I still choose to believe this way. It is what makes me feel whole. Now more than ever, it is important for me to pass down traditions and make sure my children and grandchildren know what these traditions are all about. "Merry Christmas" cannot become a thing of the past! And certainly, there is no such thing as Chanamus!

No comments:

Post a Comment